Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sometimes I don't know what to pray

Once in a while something happens - in my life, in the life of a friend - that leaves me feeling like I should say something, but I honestly don't know how to respond. Jana will tell you that I am a "fixer" by nature. When we were first married, she would come home from work and share some difficulty, and the first words out of my mouth were, "You know what you ought to do? I think you should...." It took me a little while to learn that she didn't want me to fix it, she wanted me to care about her, encourage her, love her at that moment. I had to learn that the right response to her in that situation is something like, "Darlin,' I'm sorry that you are going through this. What do you think you should do about it?"

I've been reminded again lately that I am not in control of my life, or the lives of those I care about. In my last blog, I mentioned my young friend, Matt, whose dad is battling cancer. I heard from Matt that his dad went to the hospital, and was not doing well. We have a family member that is having some real problems in their home. Ben and Megan are trying to buy a house, and want the Lord's will in the process. Different circumstances, obviously some of more gravity than others. But all needing prayer, and I'm not sure how to pray. Or maybe I do.

When situations in life come along when we don't know how we ought to pray, there is great comfort in praying, "Thy will be done." When Jesus taught the disciples to pray that's how He expressed it. And that's it isn't it? Our God, who knows the end from the beginning, who loves us and has the power to change any circumstances. When I pray, "God have your will in this situation," I am expressing my faith that He will do what is best.

The following poem was written by an anonymous Confederate soldier, a godly young man who fought in the American Civil War. He illustrates in verse what I have been saying:
I asked God for strength, that I might achieve;
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health, that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life;
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among men, most richly blessed.*


*"Prayer of an Unknown Soldier," quoted in Austin Pryor, "Trusting God to Answer Our Prayers," Crosswalk.com. http://www.crosswalk.com/family/finances/1386973.html (accessed April 24, 2006).

No comments: